STYLED SHOOT SUBMISSIONS
OPEN CALL SUBMISSIONS FOR PRINT ARE ACCEPTED THROUGH SEPTEMBER 16, 2016
We receive many submissions weekly. Those that meet the criteria below, rise to the top of the review process. Those that don’t will be put on hold until we have time to follow-up on the missing elements.
- 150 to 250 images
- Image size: min 900 pixels wide for blog posts / 300 dpi for print (min 6″ wide)
- Provide images via Dropbox [send to email@example.com]
- Vendor credits and website links for all participants
- A working title for the shoot
- A descriptive story of 250 to 600 words
- Submit everything at one time, including credits, via the online submission form
We’re often asked by designers and photographers what they need to do to increase their chance of being selected. Here are a few tips to help your submission rise to the top.
- We’re craving unique, original and unexpected design concepts.
- Choose great images! Close-up, pulled back, different angles, details, etc.
- Submit clean, color images. No watermarks, frames or borders.
- Please be kind. We receive many submissions and depending on our print schedule, there are times when the review process slows due to commitments to our advertisers, which delays our response time.
- At the risk of being redundant, submit everything at one time.
RENTAL COMPANY CONSIDERATION
There are many-many styled shoots occurring each year, but a relatively small number of rental companies by comparison. Which means–our local rental companies are being incredibly generous. One of the primary benefits of providing product, delivery and pick-up, is the ability to use the images in their portfolios. However, when multiple rental companies that offer similar product lines are used in the same shoot, it eliminates their ability to do so. Please be considerate. If possible, limit your rental company contributors to a linen company, a rental company for furniture/tabletop, and possibly a company for specialty rentals/props. In addition, order only the items you know will be used. Thank you in advance for ensuring our rental companies get value and return on their contribution.
We accept blog submissions all year long!
While we’d love to print all the gorgeous submissions we receive, it’s simply not possible. We select an average of 10 pre-shot stylized shoots from Open Call submissions (August 1 to September 15), and reserve 4 slots for unique, trend-forward concepts, for which we’ll confirm page space before the shoot occurs.
- We print once a year. Although we wrap with 4 seasonal covers, the content insides is the same.
- Open Call for print for stylized shoot submissions is August 1 to September 15.
- It takes at least 3 to 4 weeks for our style + design team to review all the submissions and make final selections.
- If you have a concept you’d like to present for confirmed placement, contact our editor, Cristine Thomas via email or at 650.425.7794. An inspiration or Pinterest board describing your concept will be helpful.
PRIOR BLOG USE
As a rule, we prefer to feature styled shoots that haven’t been posted elsewhere. However, since even the most popular wedding blogs have limited bay area viewing, we keep an open mind. If your styled shoot has been featured on another blog, it may still be eligible for print. Be sure to list the blogs/sites the shoot has been posted on, under the ‘Submission Status’ section of the styled shoot submission form. Cristine will review and make the call on whether it’s been over or under exposed in our local market.
PRIOR PRINT USE
If your styled shoot was featured in another magazine with distribution in Northern California, it is not eligible for print consideration, but is still available for blog consideration.
We love videos! Please limit to 3-5 minute trailers. Any music used must be licensed.
Click here to complete the online styled shoot submission form.
Please complete the online form for each submission—only one styled shoot per online form.